Friday, December 19, 2008

Welcome to Raw and Relevant

As a communicator and teacher of the Bible, I love discussing theological and philosophical issues with my brothers and sisters in faith - as well as with those you are yet undecided about Jesus. The Bible isn't for wusses. It is both awe-inspiring and down-to-earth. Both mysterious and practical. Both lofty and simple. No matter your opinion of the Bible, it is both Raw and Relevant. It is full of love and hatred, integrity and scandal, success and failure - just like life itself. And above all it is the message of a gracious God involved in a passionate love-affair with the humanity He created.

As the Scriptures are taught each week at Valley Church, my hope is that you would be more deeply engaged in wrestling with how to apply it to your life. If you are someone who wants to discuss or even debate any of the countless relevant issues addressed in the Bible or in the things taught at Valley - and can do so without being divisive or arrogant - I welcome you to this conversation. Let's help one another grow deeper in the understanding and application of the faith that unites us.

And one more thing. If you are a fellow skeptic to whom faith has not or will not come easy, I have a special place in my heart for you. I am one of you. But more importantly, Jesus welcomes you - for He is the one who said that even faith the size of a tiny mustard seed could move mountains. The "amount" of your faith is not nearly as important to Jesus as the "object" in which your faith is placed. I have found that Jesus is indeed that worthy object. Now feel free to chat away and I will join in as often as I can.......

2 comments:

  1. Having "enough" faith is something I've always struggled with, and will probably continue to be challenged by until I am old and grey. It's something I feel uncomfortable talking about, because I haven't got it all figured out yet. Especially since being a Christian means, to many people, that I should.

    The part of me that knows I've been created for a home I've never seen cannot deny that I should be seeking more out of life while it's still linear. I hear the alarm call, but so often getting out of bed seems like a fight I'll never win.

    Then again, being outside my comfort zone is, (fortunately, or unfortunately? lol,) exactly where God wants me to be if I'm really claiming a desire to experience the kind of fire that clears a forest of stifling underbrush. The only question that remains is, will I be able to survive the growing pains?

    I've found that it helps to take the pressure off of me personally when I zoom out focus to what a picture of the church should look like, then find how my part functions in the panorama. I've been recieving a lot of truth from unexpected places lately, and it's contributing to what I think is a unique view of the body of Christ, from fellowship to spiritual warfare.

    I guess I'm not quite ready to unveil it yet, but at the very least I'm happy you, (Jeremy,) have set up a site like this where the possibility of hashing out beliefs looms happily overhead. Rock on, dude. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    Thanks for being the first to join in the conversation! It's great to hear from you. We miss you guys! I would be interested to know if anyone else out there has struggled with guilt or shame regarding their doubts and uncertainties regarding life and faith, etc.

    Often I make the mistake of comparing what I know about myself to what I DON'T know about someone else. Basically its MY weaknesses vs. the strengths I perceive in THEM. This creates a sense of spiritual inferiority when I begin to wish that I was more like this other "amazing" Christian or leader or whatever. I'm learning more and more that wrestling through the doubts and insecurities in community with other Christ-followers is actually part of the building of real faith over the long haul. As a Pastor, I was afraid that if I was too open about my own insecurities that people might reject me as a leader. I'm actually finding the reverse to be true. I am priviledged to serve as a pastor in a generation that doesn't want or need smug, over-simplified religious answers.

    Don't get me wrong. There are some things about the Bible, truth and spirituality that are quite simple and straightforward. But I don't want to be that leader on the pedestal who everybody treats like a guru. I want to lead from among rather than from ahead. Before my role as a husband, father, or Christian leader, I am first and foremost a child of God. When I function out of that true identity rather than the false self that many think they want from their leaders, my relationships and ministry are stronger. This means greater transparency and vulnerability with others - which can be scary - but ultimately it leads to authentic transformation in my life and in the lives of others I enjoy this community with.

    Do you (Becky or anyone else) have any thoughts about these things?

    ReplyDelete