Friday, December 26, 2008

Reflecting on Christmas and New Year's Resolutions

It's after midnight - and Christmas day is officially over for 2008. My kids are in bed, and I'm longing to follow suit. As I reflect on the day, I am again overwhelmed at God's faithfulness throughout this past year. My heart as a human father has been filled with joy over the gifts we gave to our kids today - combined with materialistic wishes that we could have afforded to give them more. And the joy I feel about gift-giving triggers thoughts about another Dad who loves giving gifts to His children.

As my young boys opened their presents and enjoyed them all day long, they had no idea about the sacrifices parents make this season. The crazy lines at Target on Black Friday a month ago when this mad rush kicked off. The saving and scrimping to get them a few things they really wanted. The stress and secrecy of mom and dad trying to hide the stuff till Christmas morning. The list goes on.

And as I reflect on those small sacrifices - I am more deeply aware of the Gift God gave for us even though we'll never fully understand the sacrifice entailed in making it happen. As a dad watching my kids enjoy their gifts, I find fulfillment in the happiness on their faces. It makes me wonder - what kind of joy does God's heart feel when He sees His children enjoying Jesus? Isn't that the ultimate point of prayer, worship, Bible study, fellowship, etc. - to simply enjoy Jesus wherever He is found?

If you're planning on making any resulutions regarding your spiritual growth as the New Year approaches, let me beg you not to make any outside of this one pursuit - to enjoy Jesus more. Don't promise God you'll read the Bible 15 minutes a day, or pray 3 times a day, or whatever. Simply ask God for the ability to enjoy Jesus. That's the point of all those things - to enjoy Jesus. Completing your "daily devotions" isn't the point. The point of "daily devotion" is to enjoy Jesus. The Father sacrificed unimaginably to give the gift of Jesus to you and me. And even though we're oblivious to exactly what extent that sacrifice entailed, let's bring joy to the Father's heart by enjoying the Gift daily. He loves you.....go enjoy Him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment