Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pastors and Politics

As a pastor, I affirm and embrace the reality that I am called to a high standard of conduct. While I fall short of God's standards in numerous ways (in other words, I'm a sinner), I take very seriously the Biblical charge to be an example to others and to live in such a way that I am "above reproach." The Biblical term "above reproach" was literally a legal term that had to do with "not living in such a way that people can easily drag you into court and accuse you." In short, it means keeping your nose clean and striving to be a good example to others.

One of the ways I believe I can be a good example to others is by being engaged with my culture on various levels. For example, I enjoy coaching youth sports - not only because my boys happen to play, but also because I cherish the opportunity to make a positive investment in other families by serving their kids. I will sometimes attend important City Hall meetings and other public gatherings to stay in touch with my community. I enjoy finding creative ways to build relationships between "church and state" in relation to the common ground we share in making our community a better place. And, as you can imagine, I also have socio-political convictions. Unfortunately, this is where it gets sticky for some people.

I am the first to admit that I feel sick to my stomach whenever a "pastor" or Christian leader makes some stupid public claim that would be better left unsaid. I don't think guys like Pat Robertson do Christians any favors by suggesting that natural disasters are God's judgment upon various people and places. We simply cannot pretend to speak for God on that level. Nor should we use our pastoral positions as leverage to endorse a political candidate or to coerce people to vote "our way". But I DO believe it is entirely appropriate to endorse good ideas and oppose bad ones - and this includes the arena of politics.

As a conservative-leaning Independent, many of my views are consistent with Republican and Libertarian points of view at this time in history. This does not mean that I hate liberals or that I despise individuals who see the world of politics differently than I do. But I get frustrated when people assume that because I am a pastor, I should never chime in on socio-political issues such as health care reform, just war theory, the sanctity of marriage or the best way for America to confront terrorism. I am a Christian first, and an American citizen second. Both of those identities require me to think about the superiority of one idea over another.

I am certainly not all-knowing. And i certainly don't claim to have all the answers. And I DO believe it is necessary for all political parties to seek to work toward compromise on a variety of political issues. So while there will always be the Jeremiah Wright's on the radical left - and the Pat Robertson's on the right - I believe that pastors have a responsibility and privilege to engage politically with respect, integrity and conviction while NOT becoming like those I've just mentioned. Yes I am a spiritual leader - but I am equally a husband, dad, friend and community member.

What do you think? Should Pastors be allowed to respectfully speak their mind on political issues? Chime in with your thoughts...

4 comments:

  1. As a child, growing up in the 50's and 60's I was always amazed at the churches stand on setting back and allowing the left to chart the course of our country. On such issues as abortion,sex education etc. it was a case of not getting involved as they should have. I believe totally in the power of Prayer but I also believe that Christians through our history has allowed this to happen simply because they made the mistake of not getting involved. Spiritual Leaders and all Christians need to be engaged in the process or we will be made to accept the liberals decissions for our lives. Part of the reason we have seen our God removed from just about everything in our reach is because we have allowed it to happen. Now, because the conservatives are finally wakeing up, there is a movement to discredit them. Please keep the movement going! Get, or stay involved. Let our voices be heard. If not we will see Pastor's silenced for preaching from the word because its a hate crime! Wake Up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVE this post. One thing I've noticed about some people in the church is that they get way more fired up when talking about political issues than they do about God. I look up to you for many reasons and always read your status updates (especially now since I'm so far away!) and something I've noticed is that typically when your status has to do with your thoughts on any political issue you'll have twice the amount of passionate responses in that single post than one of your posts about God's love.

    Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing. You're not out there leading Tea Parties or Praising any political candidates from stage, you're a human being who has opinions and thoughts and by no means should you silence your voice on ANY issues because I know that when you speak you speak with love and you speak to move God's agenda, not yours.

    There are a few Christian leaders who don't speak with God's love in their heart and unfortunately the world sees and hears them first. The only reason some would get upset with pastors speaking on political issues is because they've had negative experiences with other pastors making them feel unwelcome for disagreeing on a some political issues. I've certainly felt that personally in other Churches I've visited. But what they have to realize (just as I have) is that those "pastors" who chastise members for not carrying mainstream conservative views need to revisit the reasons why they became a Christian.

    Like you said, Christian first, everything else second. Speak with love in your heart and you can't go wrong. That's what you do. I support you as a pastor, family man, and a human being 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, guys. I appreciate your insights...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy,
    I agree with your position on this. At this very contentious season in our history, I feel like the handwriting is on the wall, so to speak. So I have a question for you, and I guess others, too. God said something to the effect of, "If my people will repent and turn from their evil ways, and pray for forgiveness I will heal their land....." I have been pondering about how to pray for our leaders and I don't know how exactly to repent for what our country has done in turning away from God. Or do I just pray for our leaders to feel the conviction of their guilt and for them to repent, while I repent for my own sins? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks, Renee.

    ReplyDelete