Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Is Rob Bell a Heretic? (Some Thoughts about "Love Wins")

Several weeks ago I began receiving messages and emails related to what I think about Rob Bell’s controversial new book “Love Wins”. Frankly, I tried to steer as clear as possible from reading or watching too much of the hubbub so that I could stay as “untainted” as possible prior to actually reading the book myself (a general practice I’ve tried to develop before making judgments about a book that hasn’t even been released yet).

Of course, in spite of my attempts to minimize any premature conditioning regarding my opinion of the book, there were viral videos and emails and social network messages that made that a difficult quest. One of the most frequently recurring was related to a tweet allegedly sent out by John Piper, pastor of the Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. The tweet simply read, “Farewell Rob Bell.”

Granted, Bell and his publishers intentionally stirred the pot with a host of preliminary articles, videos and interviews (much the way Mel Gibson fed off of the allegations of “anti-semitism” he received prior to the release of 2004’s The Passion of the Christ). If Gibson made an extra half-billion dollars in revenue from curious Jews and skeptics who saw his movie simply to find out what all the commotion was about, I’m sure Rob Bell and Harper Collins will experience something similar on a lesser scale. I know they made an extra $10.99 from my Kindle download.

On the day of its national release, I went into our local Christian Bookstore asking for “Love Wins”. I was told that they would “not be carrying” the book – something I considered a little surprising given the wasteland of crappy material they actually DO carry. I then bolted over to Borders, which did not have the book in stock yet. That evening, I downloaded it on my Kindle and quickly read through it over the next couple of days.

Having just finished the book, I am very alert to a number of strengths and weaknesses I observed. If I were a reviewer I would begin with strengths, pointing out that Bell quickly and rightly draws our attention to the fact that many Christians have been trained to think of God’s redemptive purposes as being almost totally futuristic (i.e. about “going to heaven when we die”) rather than at least equally focused on living as agents of change in the here and now, bringing the values and qualities of God’s Kingdom into the broken spheres of THIS life. Point well taken.

Another strength was that in spite of Bell’s frequent appeals to human logic and emotion in raising his questions about the goodness of God, he goes much deeper in his use of Scripture than some of the “Christian universalists” I have read on a popular level. I commend Bell for trying to pay attention to some of the passages of Scripture which seem to contradict or at least challenge certain traditional assumptions about God.

In addition, it is hard not to be moved by Bell’s passion for keeping the good news focused on good news. His enduring commitment to present Jesus in light of the most expansive picture of beauty, love and grace possible is admirable in my opinion. It has long been my belief that one of the major reasons people reject Jesus at any given point in time is because the version of Jesus they have been presented with is less than the glorious Jesus of the Bible. Of course, some Christians would rather simplify this phenomenon by insisting that those who reject Christ simply aren’t elect – and therefore, who cares?

Now for a few weaknesses. In my opinion the Achilles' heel of this book is simple. While Bell indeed appeals to a vast array of Scripture verses to support his views, therein lies the problem. Rather than lengthen the book so as to present a sound exegetical defense of his views passage by passage, he cherry-picks from many often-unrelated Biblical texts, using verses, phrases and sound-bites to proof-text his opinions. While this analysis cannot in and of itself “prove” that Bell is wrong – I am simply pointing out that he spends very little time interacting with the opposing, sometimes “traditional” viewpoints he is either questioning or deconstructing.

In similar fashion, many sects and religious groups attempt to bolster their views about the Bible with sound-bite theologies designed to make the Bible say what they desire for it to say. I have no way of knowing whether Rob Bell has in fact dealt contextually and extensively with the dozens of verses he pulls from in support of his opinions – but if he has, then by excluding that documentation he’s simply telling the reader “just trust me” as he’s painting the traditional views on heaven and hell in the most negative light possible.

Therein lies another weakness of the book – namely, its brevity. I read the it cover to cover in just a few hours, and I’m a pathetically slow reader. I understand that Bell and his publishers are trying to reach a popular core audience by keeping his books succinct. But other than some extended comments about the “Prodigal Son” narrative, Bell does not spend any time contextually approaching or exegeting any of the passages from which he pulls his dozens of sound-bites. Again, I’m all for reaching a mass audience by “keeping it simple, stupid.” But could we have had just ONE – or TWO – or THREE extended treatments of a few of the most crucial passages?

By eisegeting (reading into the text) his “New Exodus”, restorationist theology, he is ignoring a number of other sound interpretive approaches to understanding the Storyline of the Bible and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In essence, I’m not interested THAT Bell thinks a Biblical author means something by a particular verse or phrase if I cannot also know WHY (contextually) he thinks the author meant it that way. To Bell’s credit, he does give a list of further suggested reading at the end of the book, but my guess is that very few of his fans will actually take the time to read those weightier writings and really think through the issues. Sadly, most will in fact simply “take Rob’s word” for it that he’s done his homework.

So in getting to the questions everyone began asking a few weeks ago – “Do you think Rob Bell is a universalist?” – having read his book cover to cover I can unequivocally say that Rob Bell himself tells us the answer is yes. Which raises another question. Is Rob Bell a heretic? Well, I guess that depends.

There is much disagreement among Christians about what is and is not within the pale of orthodox Christian beliefs and practices. A few years ago, the renowned Evangelical theologian John Stott shocked Christendom with his revelation that he now holds to the view of “annihilationism” – or the belief that hell is eternal in duration only, but not in consequence. In other words, unbelievers indeed are separated from God and confined to a placed called hell – but they will be eventually annihilated (put out of existence) and the conscious experience of the punishment will not last forever.

Did that startling revelation make John Stott a heretic? I remember reading the opinion of some who stated it does. My response was “really”? Are we sure of that? Has John Stott denied the substitutionary death and resurrection of Jesus Christ? Did he stop believing that Jesus is the Son of God and the only way to the Father? Did he deny that salvation is received only by grace through faith in Christ? Not that I am aware of.

Some would argue that Rob Bell’s views take things a giant step further – and that suggesting all of creation will eventually be reconciled to God in an eternal state of bliss is way out of bounds. I can see their point. Based upon my understanding of the Scriptures, I disagree with both Stott and Rob Bell in their beliefs about hell. But throughout “Love Wins”, Bell confirms again and again in various ways his belief that Jesus Christ is indeed the exclusive way to the Father. In the book he doesn’t say much about issues like the atonement or the Deity of Christ, so it is hard for me to comment on those issues.

Because I am a full-time pastor and not a scholar with the time on my hands to expound on every issue raised in Bell’s little book, having read it personally I am now at least prepared to more critically examine, review and participate in the plethora of theological dialogue – both for and against – that will inevitably surface in the days to come regarding “Love Wins.” This is not the first piece of work I’ve read on Christian Universalism, and I’m sure it won’t be the last. In any case, one reason I love Christ’s Church is precisely because it IS inter-denominational. While many see the different Christian sects, denominations and factions as a negative thing, I their existence is a positive thing. This actually strengthens the church against heresy because it encourages – rather than suppresses – robust dialogue.

The discussion of the eternality of hell is important. Does it rise to the level of determining Heresy with a capital “H”? Some say yes and some say no. What do YOU think?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to read the book and offer your own analysis, Jeremy. I think this is one of the better responses I have read so far. I haven't read the book yet (it is on the Kindle), but I do think this is an issue that is going to become a much higher priority than it has been in recent years among believers. The questions Rob Bell and others raise are ones many have been asking behind closed doors, but now they are coming out in the open, and it's a good thing to be grappling with them and the consequences of believing what we do (whether it's the traditional view or not). I am glad to see you keeping this dialogue open and hope to see it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Kelly. Great to hear from you. I think you are right about this dialogue becoming more and more important and at the forefront in the years to come. Hope you guys are doing well! Praying for God's leading in your life and ministry... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's an interview with MSNBC's Martin Bashir - a journalist who interviewed Bell recently about "Love Wins."

    www.godandculture.com/blog/msnbcs-martin-bashir-on-the-paul-edwards-program

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, just the point alone that this man teaches that ALL will be reconciled with God in Eternal Bliss makes him a heretic. The fact he "cherry picks" Scripture, places him right alongside joseph prince, benny hinn, joel olsteen, and the majority of t.v. preachers as well. He happens to preach in my town, right down the road, and though he has 10,000 "buffaloed" the majority I know have him pegged for what he is. It is so sad to me to see the Great Apostacy in full swing here in America, but this must happen to fulfill Prophecy so Christ can Return.

    ReplyDelete