Thursday, December 10, 2009

Celebrate Good Times, Come On...

Have you ever noticed how often we cheapen the meaning of words? During a great message taught recently by one of the board members of our church, he made note of our overuse of the word "awesome." If we're honest, we must admit that it is a bit weird to describe both the Grand Canyon and pizza with the same adjective.

I was also thinking about this in terms of the word "celebrate". Christmas is a season of celebration. As a follower of Christ I celebrate love, family, generosity and most importantly - the birth of Jesus. But the other day while driving on the freeway I noticed a billboard for a grocery store chain that said: "COME CELEBRATE...reduced prices on thousands of items storewide!" After a quick double-take, I said to myself, "Really?"

Is THAT what we've reduced ourselves to as a culture? Using the word "celebrate" in reference to saving a nickel on a can of peas? Now don't get me wrong - I love scoring a good deal! My wife and I definitely feel good when we find a bargain. But "celebrate"? Really?

The word "celebrate" is defined as "festive actions taken in response to good news." Celebration is wonderful. The Bible repeatedly instructs and encourages God's people to be joyous. The life lived with God is affirmed repeatedly in Scripture as a life to be filled with celebration. The Hebrew calendar was chock full of festivals. Angels are described as throwing a party whenever people place their trust in Jesus. Jesus' first public miracle was at a wedding. God created the capacity to celebrate and He loves it when we do!

I don't know about you, but I want to allow this Christmas season to re-orient me to the true meaning of celebration. When the angel announced Christ's birth to some random shepherds, the heavenly being said "I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today...a Savior has been born to you." (Luke 2:10-11).

Did you catch that? It's not just that Christ was born. Or that He was born to Mary and Joseph. But He was born "to you...for all the people" of the world. What an incredible invitation...and a legitimate reason to celebrate. I hope you DO save a few cents on your Christmas ham - but don't reduce your celebration to having received a bargain on your shopping list. Celebrate everything Jesus offers to a world in pain and turmoil. That's my perspective...what's yours?

1 comment:

  1. Received our first Christmas card in the mail yesterday. The front had a picture of Mary holding baby Jesus, just staring in awe at the child - the new born yet Ancient of Days, helpless yet all-powerful, the Messiah in her arms. Angels hovered in the background, also gazing at the little baby and filled with awe at God's amazing plan to bring salvation into the world. I was again struck by the crazy yet perfect plan God had in sending Jesus. And it is good news. REALLY good news. Unto you... unto US a child is born. Definitely a reason to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete