Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day Thoughts...

Unless you are a close friend or one of my family members, you have never heard of my grandpa. He was a part of America's "greatest generation" - one of those whose blood, sweat and tears helped to launch us into an era of unprecedented blessing and prosperity. Born in 1918, he was raised and socialized in the era of the Great Depression. He served for 4 years as a G.I. in the jungles of Burma during WWII, and after the war, moved his young family to Southern California where he worked as a laborer for the City of Los Angeles.

Growing up, I always saw him as invincible - physically strong and seemingly able to do anything. His battles with anger and alcoholism did not affect my impression of him as one of my greatest heroes in life. Because of him, Veteran's Day has always been a special holiday in my eyes. For me, it is a day to think about grandpa - and all of those who have put themselves in harm's way to protect and preserve our freedoms.

The greatest privilege of my life came two years ago - when I had the opportunity to lead him to a declaration of faith in Christ while on his deathbed at age 89. God so often used him in my life to bring a sense of strength, protection and freedom in the physical realm - and how joyfully ironic that God would use an otherwise inept vessel like myself to lead him to strength, protection and freedom in Christ even as his moments on earth were coming to an end. Working over the years with my mother and siblings to gradually drip the truth of Christ's love into my grandpa's life, he finally received it at the eleventh hour.

The grace of God is like that. On this Veteran's Day week, while we honor our troops both past and present for the freedom they have secured for us - let's also be mindful of the ultimate freedom offered in Christ...a freedom that cannot be taken from us by any adversary in the physical or spiritual realm... Are there any veterans in your life whose strength or courage has inspired you? Feel free to comment on this blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment