Monday, March 9, 2009

On Being a Dad

Tonight I had the priviledge of hanging out with my boys while April was out with some friends. I love having "boys night" with them whenever possible. One of the great blessings of being a dad is what it has taught me about God.

As a very imperfect father, my love for my boys is unconditional. Even when I have to discipline them, it never changes how I essentially view them. No matter their struggles, disobedience or mistakes, I am relentlessly committed to loving them. They don't have to "do" anything to make me proud. They just "are". After I put them to bed, I went in to check on Jake. Just watching him sleep and breathe makes me grateful to be his dad.

If my love as a flawed human being is so vast for my kids - its no wonder Paul wanted the Ephesians to grasp how "wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge..." (Eph. 3:18-19). The love of a perfect heavenly Father is infinitely greater than any love that could possibly flow out of my heart. If you are feeling defeated or deflated today, turn to Jesus. He is not waiting to condemn you, but to rescue you from whatever is keeping you from deep relationship with God - whether sin or doubt or failure or flaw - He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment